Volunteer with MSSC
The Mat-Su Ski Club is run almost entirely by a dedicated group of returning volunteers. Volunteers are needed for Ski Races, Junior Nordics, Instructing Ski Lessons, Trail Grooming, Trail Maintenance and Trail Ambassadors. Thank you for stopping by this page. The contact for each program is listed below. We value and appreciate every minute of our volunteers’ time. We hope you consider sharing your time with the MSSC. Ski you soon!
We are in need of Volunteers to help with Ski Races. Click here for descriptions of jobs that we need filled for each race and contact information. No experience necessary. We will teach you. Contact Ida Gullett at firstname.lastname@example.org
Here are the Ski Races and dates For the 2022-2023 Season.
- November 12, 2022 and April 8, 2023: Race to the Outhouse (RTTO)
- December 9th and 10th: Colony Chaos
- December 31, 2022 and January 1, 2023: Icicle Double
- January 8, 2023: Northern Lights Community Race#1 and Junior Nordics Finisher #1
- January 14 and 15, 2023: Besh Cup 3 & 4
- January 29, 2023: Northern Lights Community Race #2 and Junior Nordics Finisher #2
- High School Regions Ski Races at GPRA February 10th and 11th.
- February 19, 2023:Northern Lights Community Race #3 and Junior Nordics Finisher #3
- Collegiate Nordic Ski Championships at GPRA February 24th and 25th
- March 19, 2023: Northern Lights Community Race #4 and Junior Nordics Finisher #4
Trail Ambassador Program: Contact Marla Jakab at email@example.com
Trail Ambassadors are volunteers that love our trails and interacting with the community. As the trails we groom and maintain become more popular and crowded, it is our goal to provide visitors with an awareness of trail etiquette in order to preserve all the effort and time that goes into trail grooming. These friends have knowledge of the area and can answer questions about events, ski races and programs hosted by the Mat-Su Ski Club. Also, it’s just nice to have a friendly person to talk to.
- They are visible by wearing this vest frequently when skiing at any trail system groomed by the Mat-Su Ski Club.
- They are available to answer questions that folks may have about the trail systems.
- They share proper trail etiquette with the public like where to walk, ski, bike, scoop poop, etc.
- They let folks know that grooming is done by volunteers and how proper trail use preserves this work.
- They direct folks to our website by handing out rack cards from vest pockets which contain a website QR code. This way folks can easily access the website for MSSC information, events, make donations or add a membership. (In our excitement to get the vests to our volunteers, this part was left out)
Trail Grooming and Trail Maintenance: Trail groomers are trained to groom at Independence Mine, Archangel Road and GPRA along with the Moose Range. We use snow machines and a PistenBully 100 along with other types of equipment. Heavy equipment experience and ski trail knowledge preferred but not necessary. These volunteers are rewarded with parking passes and transportation fees. Trail maintenance is mainly done in summer to prepare trails for winter. 8 hours of trail work is rewarded with a Mat Su Borough parking pass. Contact Ed Strabel at firstname.lastname@example.org
Junior Nordics Coaching: We teach kids ages 5-16 how to ski each winter from January to March. We are always looking for instructors and committee members. All ski levels welcome for coaching and no experience needed as committee member. There are many rewards for joining this program. Contact Stephanie LaRousse at email@example.com
Adult Ski Lessons: Instructors teach beginner and intermediate ski lessons in Classic and Freestyle (skate) skiing from January through March each year. If you are interested in teaching a class to help folks learn to cross country ski or have questions about becoming a coach, please Contact Jerry Hupp at firstname.lastname@example.org.