Mat-Su Ski Club News
Volunteers needed for Nordic races:the High School Northern Region will be held at GPRA on Friday and Saturday, Feb 19 and 20. Note the date change! Expect Nordic race activity from mid-morning to mid-afternoon, more or less, Ski trails will remain open to general use, but please respect the athletes on the race courses on the Denali, Matanuska, and Susitna Loops.
It’s nearly time for Mat-Su Junior Nordics to begin! Our coaches are preparing and our volunteers are dusting off their skis. We hope all our Junior Nordics participants are ready to hit the trails this coming week!
Junior Nordics Orientation will take place at the GPRA parking lot at the following times:
- January 4th at 1:00 pm for M/W afternoon session
- January 4th 5:30 pm for M/W evening session
- January 5th at 5:30 pm for T/Th evening session
An outdoor orientation will take place near the Chalet, and skiers will end with a brief ski with their groups. Parents and skiers should attend. Please allow space for social distancing between family groups and wear a face covering.
A few items of business to help orientation run smoothly:
- Health and safety is of special importance this year. It is the goal of MSSC to have a fun, successful season. Adhering to the guidelines in the COVID-19 mitigation plan is the responsibility of both participants and volunteers. Please follow the guidelines closely. Download the Covid Plan
- ALL SKIS LOOK THE SAME! Sorry to yell, but it’s true! Don’t assume that because the skis and poles are supposed to be attached to your skier that they’ll stay attached until you pick your skier up! Please use blue painter’s tape/permanent marker and write your child’s first and last name on all skis and poles before orientation night.
- For returning Junior Nordics skiers: you need to move UP one level from the group you skied with last year.
- For skiers new to the program: Our head coaches will be helping you determine which group is most appropriate for you during orientation. Age and ski experience will be taken into account.
- All groups starting spots are spread way out in the stadium this year to allow for social distancing. Check this map to see where your group will be starting. Coaches will also be leading groups to their start spots during orientation.Click here for larger image
Come join us in the moonlight on the beginner friendly old-school trails in the Matanuska Moose Range. Best for people who have been on skis a few times already. Bring the kids if they are already happy on skis for at least an hour.
Meet at 6:30 pm at the Sun Valley Drive trailhead. Use this map to find the trailhead, or put it on your phone https://matsuski.org/moose-range-trail-map/
Our tour will take us out onto the “swamp” where there is a big wide view of the sky and the moonlit Talkeetna’s.
Don’t trust the clouds – bring a headlamp. Expect to be out for an hour to 90 minutes. More info or questions? Ask here
GPS address of the trailhead is approximately 9345 Sun Valley Dr. Palmer AK
Please do not park across from or right next to driveways, and everyone should park on the same side of the road, leaving clear room for emergency traffic.
Please click on the link to the Sign Up Genius and come out for a great day of ski fun and competition.
Are you new to skiing. or even to snow sports at all? You can participate in our live, interactive on-line virtual Skiing 101 class. On Tuesday, December 15th at 6:30pm. It’s free. On Google Meet. Lorene and Sydney will lead you through the basics of the equipment, how to prepare and dress for Nordic skiing, and set you up with a fundamental understanding to get you started right when you hit the trails.
A followup on-snow Ski 101 clinic for first-timers will be offered also (date TBD).
Join a notice list for future Ski101 clinics – click on the Ski101 tab on the Adult Ski Lessons page.
Please consider donating to the Mat-Su Ski Club during #GivingTuesday. Support from members and businesses isn’t just helpful to the Mat-Su Ski Club; in fact, that’s how this non-profit operates! Generous donors give of their time or money (oftentimes both!) to give our community better access to groomed trails, updated trail conditions, ski lessons, and more.
Mat-Su Ski Club would be grateful for any donation, large or small. Donate by clicking the button below or at our Facebook page.
Thank you for investing in our community!Donate
Friday Nov 27th at GPRA. Turkey Trax is a family-friendly, costume-optional, community Nordic ski event and race. Pie raffles! Gift-card awards for costumes!
We will hold a Covid-safe event by being outdoors the entire time, using an interval start, requiring mask wearing for everyone not actively racing, requiring conscientious social distancing, and other measures. We want to see you and ski with you. But please, if you or anyone in your bubble has any symptoms, or has had a close contact with a positively tested person in the last two weeks, we ask that you stay home.
Our annual season-starting race is on for Saturday, Nov 14th. The venue is the mostly uphill 3.4 km course at Independence Mine. Registration will begin at 9:30 am in the parking lot. Interval starts will be from 10:00 AM – 11:30AM. Cost is FREE. Covid adjustments including an interval start, mask-wearing for non-racing people, conscientious social distancing, and non-sharing of pens and stuff will be in place. We need a few volunteers to help with timing and recording; volunteers will be stationed up the trail at the finish line. Contact Ed at 354-7524 or if you want to help.